Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Learning from Students' Posts

There are many wonderful entries that students have written on their blogs. One that I enjoyed a lot was Joyce's reading response on Gale vs. Peeta in the series The Hunger Games. When I talk to most people about the book they disagree that the romance plays a large role, but I think Joyce did a great job at showing the the book isn't just about the adventure parts, but also about romance. She shows how they play different roles in Katniss' life, which is what helps create her as a character. In Joyce's response, she does a great job at showing how different these two characters are by using text evidence, but she also gives her own opinions and feelings making the entry a fantastic one!

There are many more fascinating blog entries that I have read. Another one is Izzy's reading response on Romeo and Juliet and whether their love is real or not. I liked her post a lot, because I think this is a question most people ask themselves while reading this classic.  When most people ask this they say how Romeo kept talking about her beauty, but Izzy shows how Juliet "declares her love for him" only after their first conversation. In Izzy's response she does a great job at giving specific examples on why she asks herself this question, explaining that it is because when they meet they seem to mainly be physically attracted to each other.

Reading blog entries that other students have written helps me think of ways that I can improve as a blogger. Joyce's blog entry on Gale and Peeta is very different than most entries that I have read about The Hunger Games. Her use of viewing and writing about the book from a different angle, romance vs adventure, makes me want to try something similar. Based on Joyce's entry, I think it is important to focus on not only the main themes, but also the small ones. Izzy's blog entry on Romeo and Juliet and whether their love is real or not, is based off a question Izzy asked herself. When I write posts on my blog I focus on what I do know based on the book, but I think my posts could be more insightful if I wrote more about questions and theories that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment